06 January 2023
Making a number of New Year's resolutions is easy, but sticking to them is much harder. At the start of the year we tend to promise ourselves that we will make major lifestyle changes, or we set ambitious goals -but by the end of January we’ve already given up!
It’s important to set goals in life as they offer you direction and will help you be more successful in whatever it is you want to achieve. However, there are a number of tactics you can use to ensure you stick to those New Year's resolutions in 2023.
- Be realistic - ‘Exercise everyday’ isn’t a realistic goal. Life's other demands are bound to get in the way occasionally, but as soon as you miss one day, you’ve failed yourself. ‘Exercise four times a week’ is far more do-able and you’ll feel much happier with yourself if you strive to achieve a more attainable goal.
- Be specific - If your goal is to lose weight, how much weight? Or if you want to ‘spend more time with your family’, how much time? If you’re not specific then how will you know that you've achieved your goal - or even how close you came to achieving it? It’s important you set timeframes and measure your success.
- Keep track - Write your goals down and check your progress regularly. Whether it’s in your notes on your phone or in your diary, this will help keep you on the right path.
- Talk about your resolutions - By telling someone your goals, posting them on social media or even linking your goal to raising money for charity your more likely to succeed. You’ll be reluctant to abandon them if everybody knows you’ve set them!
- Focus on behaviours rather than outcomes - Instead of focusing on the end goal, make a step-by-step action plan as to how you’re going to achieve your goal and focus your attention on that instead. There’s no point in setting a goal if you don’t know how you’re going to succeed.
- Don’t beat yourself up - If you slip up, so what? Perfection is impossible and people make mistakes, we are human after all. Messing up once doesn’t mean you’ve failed completely. Resolve to recover from your mistake and get back on track quickly.
- Link your goals - It’s been proven that having one, huge and slightly daunting goal isn’t as effective as having two or three that work together. For example, only going for social drinks once a week alongside the goal of cutting back alcohol, the two go hand-in-hand and you can achieve one by achieving the other.
- Grab yourself a resolutions buddy - If a friend or family member has similar resolutions to you, then buddy up with them. This way, you can motivate one another, have a bit of healthy competition and offer each other support.
- Last but by no means least - get to the barre!! Why not make one of your 2023 resolutions to meet us as the barre four times a week. Four is the magic number to really see those rapid body change results. Take a look at our timetable and book a class now.
So get goal setting, ensure they're attainable, announce them to the world and make 2023 the best year yet.