16 January 2023
Curried Celeriac, Spinach & Kale Soup
Celeriac and soup are the perfect things to be eating at this time of year. The spices add lovely levels of depth and turmeric is a known anti-inflammatory, not to mention how good the kale and spinach are for you. Make some now and freeze it ready to have a healthy meal on hand.Ingredients (makes enough for 4-6 people)
- 1 celeriac, peeled and cut into medium sized chunks.
- 200g spinach, washed 100g kale, washed, tough stalks removed and roughly chopped
- 1.5 litres hot chicken stock (or boiling water)
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, washed and roughly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Himalayan salt and black pepper.
In a large pot, heat the coconut oil and fry the onion and leek until soft. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Throw in the celeriac and spices and toss thoroughly. Cover with the stock or water and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for twenty minutes. When the celeriac is tender, throw in the kale and cook for a few minutes and then add the spinach and cook for another few minutes, allowing it to wilt into the soup. Take off the heat and blend thoroughly with a hand blender, adding more liquid if necessary. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with a big squeeze of lemon.